Vegan + gluten free blueberry muffins. So golden and delicious!
Healthier option without the frosting, but they’re so much better with it. Your choice!
• Gluten-free muffin mix (King Arthur Flour, a combination of brown rice, potato, and tapioca starch). I bought THIS ONE
Look at the awesome reviews! Got it at Whole Foods.
• 6 tablespoons of melted unrefined, virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil. (Any other oil is fine, but I chose coconut).
• 4 heaping tablespoons of apple sauce (I chose unsweetened).
• 1 cup of almond milk (I chose unsweetened).
• 1 teaspoon of baking powder
• A few frozen blueberries (Organic if possible).
(Optional but recommended) Frosting:
3 big tablespoons. of Earth Balance butter
3 big tablespoons Toffutti cream cheese.
A few drops of lime juice (If available, if not, it’s fine.)
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of refined sugar (more or less, to taste)
(Mix all and whip together with a fork, and it’s done!)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease with cooking spray or any oil a standard 12-muffin pan. Or line with muffin cups.
2) Stir together the melted oil, apple sauce, and the milk. Add the muffin mix and whisk until smooth. If desired, add a few frozen blueberries right on top of the mix.
3) Fill the muffin cups almost full. LET THE BATTER REST FOR 10 MINUTES before putting them in the oven.
4) Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until knife insterted in the middle of the muffins comes clean. I left it more than 22 minutes because I wanted them golden.
5) Remove from the oven, and after 5 minutes transfer muffins to a rack to cool.
Yield: 12 muffins.